About Me...

My name is Joe Hicks, I'm currently studying Business Studies at the University of Lincoln.

I am a Student Officer for the University of Lincoln Students' Union, as well as Course Rep for Business Studies Level 1, Liaison Rep for the Business School and Student Trustee.
As a student myself, I'm set on working for the benefit of Students at the University of Lincoln; my manifesto for my current position of Student Officer can be found under my very first Blog Post.

When I'm not busy with my roles within the Union, I enjoy practicing the Discipline of Parkour, and Photography.
This year sees the creation of an officially accepted Parkour Society within the SU's Sports and Societies, which hopefully will be fully up and running by the beginning of Semester B in early 2010.

If you have any questions regarding the SU, or the Parkour Society, please don't hesitate to give me an email at:
09140748@students.lincoln.ac.uk

Monday 12 July 2010

Big plans for this year...

After being in office as Campaigns Officer for a week or so now, the coming year is starting to take shape…
Our outlined priorities have been decided as HE Funding, Accommodation and Employability.

As stated before, and in my manifesto on which I was elected, my main aim is to get out and talk to students, encourage them to run their own campaigns or get involved with the campaigns we have planned, as well as ensuring that the campaigns we do have planned only run if students are actually interested in them.

I’m currently working on a project proposal ready for fresher’s week, which will give us a strong start to opening up communications with new students, and I’m now starting to think of what I’ll be doing myself this year…

I believe that if something’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right; so although my role is to provide support for all campaigns, I will be concentrating on a small number of high profile campaigns myself; the most interesting of which is based on Accommodation Rights.

I hope to involve as many students as possible, as it’s something that involves all students to some degree.
I’ve known a large number of students who have been living in sub-par accommodation, with, for example, maintenance issues in clear violation of the landlord’s contractual obligation to correct; the main aim of this campaign will be to give students the understanding of their rights and obligations, and those of their landlord, ultimately resulting in students themselves cracking down on appalling student accommodation.

Just because we’re still in education doesn’t mean we are any less of a person; any other tenant would have sued in some instances I’ve witnessed – what I don’t understand is why aren’t we doing the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment